Simmered tomato steak: Makes even the toughest cut of meat into tender morcels.

My last post on here discussed my (then) Fiance's crock pot pork roast recipe ( umm, yummie! ), well things have changed, we have gone and gotten ourselves married, and this time I have decided to turn the sppotlight on to a recipe from another source. This time I am going to give you a simmered tomato steak recipe that I originally learned from a coworker (Hi, Thomas) and which I later modified to suit my own tastes.

For this recipe you will need:
* 1 medium to large sized steak with excess fat removed
* 1 large can of tomatoes
* 2 cups of water
* 1 tablespoon of oil
* 1 medium onion, sliced
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
* 3 cloves of crushed garlic
* 2 medium potatoes cut into cubes
* 2 tablespoons of flour
* 3/4 cup of chopped carrots

First I like to braise the steak on both sides in a frying pan with a little oil. After that I take the steak and put it into an electric frying pan - but you could use a regular large frying pan or even substitute a medium sized roasting pan and do the recipe in the oven at equivalent temperatures, which is what I used to do before the electric pan. I suppose that you could even turn this into a Rival crock pot roast recipe if you felt so inclined. Once the steak is in the pan I add the juice from the can of tomatoes as well as the water, the sugar, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. You can add in any desired cooking spices at this point I then turn on the pan to a decent simmering temperature - at least 300 -350 degrees, cover and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove lid and add the remaining ingredients making sure to stir them once in the pan / roasting pan. Allow to simmer together for another 45 minutes until desired tenderness is reached.

Enjoy!

No comments: